Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Rule of Thirds

This photo of Sarah skiing in the Minnesota State Nordic Ski meet is a great example of everything coming together in an photo captured in the heat of battle. The position of the skiers in the frame allowed me achieve near perfection in satisfying the “Rule of Thirds” while composing the image. That positioning one of the cross hairs right between her eyes also results in a nearly perfect division of the scene into both vertical and horizontal “Thirds” helps make this image especially pleasing.

I wish I could tell you that I planned for this as I stood out in the cold waiting for the skiers to speed past. The problem with that story is that I would have to explain why not all that many of the other 1100 photos taken at the state meet are this easily divisible by 3.

Rule of Thirds

I like to look at a reversed image after cropping and composing. I think that when both images are pleasing it is likely that you have the composition “right” (i.e. reversing tends to magnify inconsistencies).

Rule of Thirds (reversed)

No comments:

Post a Comment